Tsavo East National Park is considered to be a pleasant wilderness National park in Kenya, Tsavo east is characterised of rocky beautiful wilderness and genuine African expeditions are carried out here due to its attractive Savannah ecosystem that is made up of open Savannah, bushes, and Acacia forests, belts of riverine vegetation and rocky elevations together with the Poacher’s. The slightly larger Tsavo East is generally flat, with dry plains across which the Galana River flows. Other features include the Yatta Plateau and Lugard Falls.
Tsavo West National Park is more mountainous and wetter than its counterpart, with swamps, Lake Jipe and the Mzima Springs. It is known for bird life and for its large mammal’s e.g. black rhino, Cape buffalo, elephant, leopard, hippo and Masai lion. There are also other smaller animals that can be spotted in the park, such as the bush baby, hartebeest, lesser kudu and Maasai giraffe.
It is place where most tourists can see dust-red elephant stumbling, undulating and spraying each other with the midnight blue waters of palm-shaded Galana River which is one of the most evocative images in Africa. This, along with the 300 kilometer long Yatta Plateau, the longest lava flow in the world, make for an adventure unlike any other in the Tsavo East. The park forms the largest protected area in Kenya and is home to most of the larger mammals, vast herds of dust –red elephant, Rhino, buffalo, lion, leopard, pods of hippo, crocodile, waterbucks, lesser Kudu, gerenuk and the prolific bird life features 500 recorded species.
Tsavo East National Park is one of the oldest parks in Kenya, located South East of Kenya near the Town of Voi in the Taita-Taveta District of Coast Province, inland from the Coast, it is 13,747 square kilometres.
How to get there
- By Road: Tsavo east national park can be accessed through the Mtito Andei Gates is 233 km South of Nairobi and 250 km North of Mombasa on the main Nairobi- Mombasa Road. Distance Nairobi-Mtito Andei: 233 km – Mtito Andei-Voi: 96 km – Voi-Mombasa: 153 km. From Malindi, take the western road (C103) and enter in the park via Sala gate.
- By Air: the park can also be accessed through these following airports. Voi, Aruba, Satao, Sala, Ithumba, Sangayaya, Mopeo, Bachuma, Cottars.
When to visit Tsavo National park.
The best time to visit Tsavo national park is between the months of June to September and between January to February are equally friendly. The temperature is ever cool during day and night and the animals tend to wander in the open looking for greener pastures. Bird lovers have to visit Tsavo East between Octobers to January. This is when most of the migratory birds visit the park.
There are plenty of places to stay in the two parks. These range greatly and most of them have a water hole close to the property making game viewing easier.
- Galdessa Safari Camp is located on the southern bank of the Galana River in the Tsavo East National Park.
- Satao Camp is located in Tsavo east settled between trees and a water-hole.
- Ithumba Camp is located in Tsavo East National park and is situated between the bush and Acacia trees along the Galana River.
- Ngutuni Lodge is located 15 minutes from Tsavo east main gate and 1hr from Tsavo west and Taita Hills with 48 rooms all built in blocks.
- Voi Wildlife Lodge is located at the boundary of the home of Elephants the Tsavo East National Park 5 minutes’ drive from the Tsavo East Airstrip.
- Man-Eaters Safari Camp is located on the banks of Tsavo River at the middle of Tsavo National Park only kilometers from the main Nairobi Mombasa road.
- Sarova Salt Lick is situated in the midst of Taita hills sanctuary a private sanctuary of 28,000 acres bordering Tsavo West National Park.
- Sarova Taita Hills Game Lodge is located in taita hills wildlife sanctuary adjacent to Tsavo West National Park.
- Voi Safari Lodge is located in Tsavo East National Park on top of a rocky hill with 52 en-suit standard rooms.
- Ashnil Aruba Lodge is located at the heart of the largest Tsavo East National park, 250km from Nairobi City and 150km to Mombasa.
- Impala Safari Lodge is located 5km from Tsavo National Park and 2km from Voi shopping canter.
- Kamboyo Guest House is located in Tsavo West National Park accessed through Mtito Andei gate which is 232km from the capital city and 247km to the coastal region.
- Kilalinda Camp is located in Tsavo East National Park on the Athi River bank with 6 cottages each with its own individual character.
- Kulalu Camp is located in Tsavo East National Park, along GalaKulalu River, and Kulalu Conservancy
- Lake Jipe Safari Camp is located in Tsavo West National Park with 8 spacious and fully furnished cottages.
- Leopard Lodge is a self-contained unit sitting within 4 acres of land in Tsavo East National Park.
- Loyk Tsavo Camp is ideally situated on the pictographic boarder of the Athi River in Tsavo East National Park.
- Manyatta Camp is located at the boarder of Tsavo East National Park only 5 km from the main highway offering a magnificent view of the Tsavo National Park.
- Ndololo Camp is located in Tsavo East National Park, situated in thickly banks of river Voi.
- Ndolwa House is a small private home stay located in Tsavo West National Park set on the Ndolwa hill giving a nice view of Mt Kilimanjaro.
- Ngulia Bandas is located in Tsavo West National Park 40km from Mtito Andei, and 50kmfrom Tsavo River gate.