Mountain Gorilla Families/Groups of Uganda, The Habituated Gorilla Groups
Get to know about the Habituated Gorilla Families in Uganda and where they are found. The listed groups are those available for Gorilla Trekking in Uganda at present.
Buhoma Area of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest
- Mubare Group:
This Mubare group (also called the M-Group) was the pioneer group to in fact to be habituated for tracking by visitors. The habituation programme began in 1991 and the group got first visitors for trekking in 1993. The group was named Mubare after the spectacular Mubare Hills in which it was discovered.
- Habinyanja Group:
This Group was habituated in 1997 for tracking and received tourists in 1999. At the beginning, it was a huge group, but the family split from and another group, Rushegura was formed. These two groups co-exist peacefully and at times interconnect with each other with ease.
- Rushegura Group:
Rushegura Group was habituated in 2000 for tracking and it got tourists in 2002. It is a massive group found in the Buhoma area, part of Bwindi Forest.
Ruhija region of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest – habitat for Bitukura Gorilla group
- Bitukura Group: This Group is among of the lately created groups and wanders the green forest in Ruhija area.
Rushaga region of Bwindi Forest- Habitat for Nshongi Group and Mishaya Gorilla Family
- Mishaya Group: after a family disagreement, Mishaya Gorilla family Fragmented from the then largest Gorilla Group in Bwindi, Nshongi Gorilla Family. The two groups still live in the Rushaga region in the South of Bwindi Forest.
- Nshongi Group: At present, Nshonji is the biggest habituated gorilla family in Bwindi with 25 members. At the inception of the group for trekking by visitors after a thorough Habituation, it had 25. Later on, 10 members left to form a new family called Mishaya Group.
Nkuringo Region of Bwindi Forest – is a habitat to Nkuringo Gorilla Family
- Nkuringo Group: is among of the most puzzling treks in Uganda. The Group has 19 individuals and is a favorite to people who have pursued over one gorilla family.
- Kahungye Group: This group is found Rushaga area and was opened up in 2011. The Name Kahungye is derived from a hill in Rushaga area where the mountain gorillas were learnt of.
- Oruzogo Gorilla Group
This gorilla family can be trekked from Ruhija area of Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. It is a huge group with 22 gorilla members. This Oruzogo group is a favorite of tourists because the lively dynamism displayed by the youngsters and babies in the family who keep visitors amused during their stay.
- Busingye Group: This family is a splinter group from Kahungye Gorilla Group. The group has 9 members of whom three were infants and one gorilla teen.
- Bweza Gorilla Group: The Bweza Gorilla Family is in the Rushaga area. The group has 7 adult members and two children. The group is a breakaway faction from the Nshongi Family due to too many disputes in the group.
Mgahinga National Park
- The Nyakagezi Gorilla Family is the only gorilla group habituated in Mgahinga Gorilla National park. Mgahinga National Park has got over 80 Mountain Gorillas. This nine-member group has the wandering tendencies and they go to DR Congo and back frequently.