Gorilla Habituation Experience is a wildlife practice where researchers train wild mountain gorillas to get used to human beings. With is kind of experience visitors spend more time with gorillas in the forest about four hours.
Since the beginning of 2014, the Uganda Wildlife Authority introduced mountain gorilla habituation experience in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park. This experience is for being very close to the gorillas and learn more about them. The price for habituation is USD 1500.00 per person per a day’s experience.
Uganda Wildlife Authority put a side a special gorilla family for habituation in the Rushaga area of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
Under the Gorilla Habituation Experience, visitors stay with mountain gorillas for more hours (four hours) as opposed to the ordinary gorilla trekking limited to one hour only upon meeting the endangered primates in their jungles. With the gorilla habituation experience, tourists move with researchers who habituate gorillas, take more time with the apes and learn how they are adapted.
This experience is loved much since more time with the mountain gorillas means more enjoyment and close observations of their characters. However, those for the experience excursion should expect to visit semi-trained mountain gorillas that may choose to hide or behave in an unusual way prompting the experience to be stopped upon the researchers’ advice.
For gorillas to be open for habituation by visitors, it may take from two to three years to make them ideal for familiarization by humans. During such period, researchers sustain visiting a particular Wild gorilla group and they study in details about the individual gorillas and how the behave. Over time, such gorillas become used to those researchers and in the process, each single gorilla is named. When the researchers are well sure that the mountain gorillas are safe for trekking, then they present a mock habituation exercise. In such an exercise, a few people that may include scientists, journalists and educationists begin visiting it to prove its habituation worthiness. Upon confirmation that a gorilla group has passed the mock exercise, it is then opened for the habituation experience.
Bwindi Impenetrable National Park has got about eleven habituated gorilla groups or families and these include Habinyanja, Mubare and Rushegura in Buhoma area found in the north the park. There is Bitukura, Oruzogo and Kyaguriro in Ruhija located in the Eastern side. There is as well Nshonji, Busingye, Mishaya, Bweza and Kahungye in the Rushaga area plus Nkuringo Gorilla Group all in the southern section of Bwindi. Out of the many families in Bwindi Forest, only two groups have been put available for the gorilla habituation experience and they are found in Nkuringo and Rushaga southern sections of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
All about Gorilla Habituation Experience and its difference from the ordinary gorilla trekking
Gorilla Habituation Experience
- Gorilla Habituation Experience is only offered in Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in Nkuringo and Rushaga areas. Rwanda and the Democratic Republic of Congo don’t have Gorilla Habituation.
- At present, gorilla groups available for Gorilla Habituation Experience are Bushaho group in Nkuringo (this gorilla family at times travel towards Rushaga and trekking may start from Rushaga) and Bikingi group in Rushaga.
- Tourists going for the habituation experience should expect visiting semi familiarized mountain gorillas that may hide or act in an unusual style that may prompt the researchers to stop the exercise.
- With gorilla habituation, clients move with researchers and use more time to see how gorillas are habituated.
- One spends 4 hours with the Mountain Gorillas and the tracking starts at 7:30am at Rushaga or Nkuringo to go to the group for habituation.
- A number of 4 visitors are permitted per day for a group visited under the habituation experience.
- A Gorilla Habituation Experience Permit is at USD 1500 per person per day.
Ordinary Gorilla Trekking
- It is not limited to Uganda. It can be done in Uganda’s Bwindi Forest or Mgahinga National Park, Volcanoes National park in Rwanda or Virunga National Park in the DR Congo.
- With Ordinary trekking, visitors spend one hour with the gorillas
- A gorilla permit is priced at USD 600 in Uganda, USD 1500 in Rwanda and USD 450 in Congo
- All the rules and regulations of gorilla tracking, including clothing, foot wears, and conduct plus health measures apply to the two types of gorilla trekking experiences.
- The minimum age of 15 years apply to both gorilla encounters.
How to Book and Secure a Permit for the habituation experience
Due to the limited number of gorilla groups available for this exercise, bookings for the Gorilla Habituation Permits must be done in advance. For your expediency, write or call us and we shall immediately secure your gorilla permit and work on the trip arrangements. Our contacts: Email: [email protected] or Tel: +256 772 381 544 for details.