Namirembe Cathedral is Anglican Church of Uganda built on top of Namirembe hill, approximately 1.5 km west of the city center off Natete Road is one of the most inspiring colonial buildings in Kampala and it also offers the outstanding views over the city center and environs.
The title Namirembe is a Luganda word meaning the “of peace” thus the hill was customarily considered as the hill of peace. The innovative cathedral was finalized in 1903 and sanctified a year later. The cathedral was constructed exclusively by Baganda artisans however under supervision of a British missionary and could grip an audience of 3,000 people. It was designated contemporaneously by W E Hoyle as a extraordinary structure with walls of sun dried bricks and brick piers backing up the thatch roof comprising of 120 tons of thatch and a ceiling roofed with eroded stalks of elephant grass. This structure was demolished by lightening in 1910 and the present cathedral, is a conventional building of red bricks built to massive magnitudes and adorned by some attractive colored glass windows was completed in 1919.
The Namirembe cathedral also was also known as St Paul’s Church which is the main Anglican Church in Uganda with superb architecture and great inside decoration. Visiting the place will reward with a remarkable religious historical background and striking views of Kampala city.